Extract date: 28/03/2025
Name | Adelaide River |
---|---|
Type Designation | Locality |
Place Id | 2002 |
Place Type | Administrative Area |
Status | Registered |
Date Registered | 29 October 1997 |
Location (Datum GDA94) | |
Latitude: -13° 10' S (Decimal degrees -13.1775) | |
Longitude: 131° 10' E (Decimal degrees 131.1697) | |
Locality / Suburb | |
(None Found) | |
Local Government Area | |
Coomalie Community Council | |
History/Origin | The Town takes its name from the adjacent Adelaide River, which was discovered by LR Fitzmaurice and C Keys of the HMS Beagle in 1839 and named in honour of Queen Adelaide, who was the Dowager Queen at the time. The Adelaide River flows into Clarence Strait, named after her husband William IV, Duke of Clarence. The QCE Hotel (Quiet, Comfort and Ease) was established by Edward Hopewell in the 1874 on the southern bank of the River adjacent to the crossing and the Overland Telegraph Line which had been established in 1872. Following WWII, the War Cemetery, a hotel and other facilities were developed on the northern side of the crossing, the site of the Verburg farm during the 1920s. On 11 January 1962, an area of 626.8 hectares was proclaimed as a town site and given the name of Adelaide River. |
Date | Gazettal | Comment |
---|---|---|
29/10/1997 | NTG43 | Locality, not Town |